Shimla, Manali get more snowfall
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh`s picturesque resorts Shimla and Manali woke up Thursday to a white blanket of snow, turning the hill stations even more picturesque.
The residents of Shimla shivered as icy winds brought down the minimum temperature to 0.1 degree Celsius. It saw 8 cm of overnight snow.
According to the Met Office here, Manali recorded 3 cm of snow.
Tourist spots near Shimla, such as honeymooners` paradise Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda experienced moderate snowfall.
The majestic Dhauladhar ranges of the Himalayas surrounding Dharamsala wore a fresh blanket of snow.
"High-altitude areas of Lahaul and Spiti, Chamba, Mandi, Kullu, Kinnaur, Sirmaur and Shimla districts have experienced moderate to heavy snow," a Met official said.
Rain lashed lower areas of the state such as Dharamsala, Palampur, Solan, Nahan, Bilaspur, Una, Hamirpur and Mandi, pulling down temperatures.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district, which saw more than a feet of snow, recorded a low of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius while the temperature was minus 8.9 degrees in Keylong in Lahaul-Spiti district and 2.4 degrees in Manali. Dharamsala, which recorded 67.4 mm rain, registered 5.8 degrees.
"Over 100 routes in the interiors of Shimla, Kullu, Chamba, Mandi, Sirmaur and Kinnaur districts have been closed due to snow," an official of the Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) told a news agency.
According to the weather office, western disturbances - a storm system originating from the Mediterranean-Caspian Sea region and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region - have started withdrawing from the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre