Shimla, Manali get season`s first snowfall
Shimla: Hills near the popular tourist destinations of Shimla, Manali and Dalhousie on Tuesday saw moderate snowfall - the season`s first spell, while other higher reaches of the state received heavy snowfall, creating biting cold wave conditions in the region.
Manali and Dalhousie received first moderate snowfall of the season with main towns receiving five to 15 cm of snow while Solang Nallah and Rohtang pass (130,50 ft) recorded 45 cm and 80 cm of fresh snow, creating piercing cold wave conditions in adjoining valleys, Met office sources said.
The tribal areas which recorded 70 cm to 100 cm of snow groaned under arctic conditions with minimum temperature staying between minus 8 and minus 13 degree Celsius and Rohtang pass, Kunzam pass and other high mountain passes were closed for vehicular traffic.
The state capital Shimla was experiencing intermittent snow fall since this morning, accompanied by strong velocity icy winds and sleet, causing sharp fall in minimum and maximum temperatures which dipped to 3.6 degree and 8.6 degree C respectively.
Jakoo, the highest peak in Shimla and adjoining tourist resorts of Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda recorded 10 cm to 30 cm of snow.
The mid and lower hills were lashed by intermittent rains accompanied by strong velocity winds and day temperatures plummeted throughout the state.
The maximum temperatures dropped by eight to twelve degrees to settle at 9.9 degree at Sundernagar, 10.8 degree at Bhunter,18.2 degree at Dharamsala, 18.8 degree at Una, 14.9 degree at Nahan ,14.5 degree at Solan and 2.0 degree at Kalpa.
An induced upper air cyclonic circulation lies over south west Rajasthan in lower levels extending up to 1.5 km a.S.L. resulting in rains or snow across the region during next three days, Manmohan Singh, Director local MeT office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145