Shimla Municipal Corporation polls tomorrow
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh`s ruling BJP will hope to end Congress` 26-year-old control of the city civic body when 82,000 people are expected to exercise their franchise in Shimla Municipal Corporation (SMC) polls on Sunday.
The fate of 95 candidates, including seven for the post of Mayor, five for Deputy Mayor and 83 for 25 wards, would be sealed in EVMs tomorrow. There are 43 women candidates in fray.
The counting of votes would be held on Monday.
The election of Mayor and Deputy Mayor is being held through direct vote for the first time and thirteen out of 25 wards have been reserved for women.
Two women including sitting Mayor Madhu Sood of Congress and one woman for the Deputy Mayor are also in the fray.
There is a virtual direct contest among Madhu Sood, SS Minhas (BJP) and Sanjay Chauhan(CPI-M) for the post of Mayor while Digvijay Singh Chauhan (BJP), Devinder Chauhan (Congress) and Tikender Singh Panwar(CPI-M) are fighting it out for Deputy Mayorship.
Though 13 out of 25 seats have been reserved for women, the number of women voters is about 37,000 against 43,500 male voters.
There is a direct fight in two wards reserved for women while two other wards have maximum number of five candidates.
The contest is triangular in 16 wards and four-cornered in remaining five wards.
Congress is in control of SMC ever since the democratic body was restored in 1986 and had won all five elections held so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins