Shimla to go without milk from tomorrow
Shimla: Milk retailers in this Himachal Pradesh hill station have decided not to supply packaged milk for three days from Friday to demand a hike in commission from dairy firms.
"No packaged milk and dairy products coming from Punjab will be supplied to any shop or hotel or commercial establishment for three days. This decision was taken after the milk companies refused to hike commission," Milk Suppliers Association president Puran Chand said here.
The suppliers are demanding that their commission in the sale per milk pack of 500 ml be hiked from 25 paise to Re 1.
The vendors had stalled milk supply for two days in May over the same demand.
The town`s daily consumption of milk is around 50,000 litres, most of which is supplied by Punjab`s milk cooperative Milkfed.
The cooperative supplies milk and dairy products like butter, ghee, paneer and curd under the brand name Verka.
SK Tuteja, Milkfed`s regional sales manager in its Mohali plant in Punjab, told a news agency over the phone that the company is planning to hike the suppliers` commission next month when a new contract will be signed with Shimla`s main distributor.
"Certain private companies are just trying to capture the market by offering more discounts," he added.
Shimla, fondly known as the queen of hills, supports more than 200,000 people. According to tourism industry representatives, Shimla receives around 50,000 tourists every weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside