Shimla to go without milk from tomorrow
Shimla: Milk retailers in this Himachal Pradesh hill station have decided not to supply packaged milk for three days from Friday to demand a hike in commission from dairy firms.
"No packaged milk and dairy products coming from Punjab will be supplied to any shop or hotel or commercial establishment for three days. This decision was taken after the milk companies refused to hike commission," Milk Suppliers Association president Puran Chand said here.
The suppliers are demanding that their commission in the sale per milk pack of 500 ml be hiked from 25 paise to Re 1.
The vendors had stalled milk supply for two days in May over the same demand.
The town`s daily consumption of milk is around 50,000 litres, most of which is supplied by Punjab`s milk cooperative Milkfed.
The cooperative supplies milk and dairy products like butter, ghee, paneer and curd under the brand name Verka.
SK Tuteja, Milkfed`s regional sales manager in its Mohali plant in Punjab, told a news agency over the phone that the company is planning to hike the suppliers` commission next month when a new contract will be signed with Shimla`s main distributor.
"Certain private companies are just trying to capture the market by offering more discounts," he added.
Shimla, fondly known as the queen of hills, supports more than 200,000 people. According to tourism industry representatives, Shimla receives around 50,000 tourists every weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery