Shrikhand Mahadev pilgrimage begins in Himachal
Rampur: The Shrikhand Mahadev pilgrimage, considered tougher than the journey to the Amarnath cave shrine in Kashmir, has started in Himachal Pradesh, an official said Sunday.
The first batch of over 2,000 devotees had left Jaon village, the base camp around 32 km from here, Shravan Kumar Manta, an official in charge of the pilgrimage, told IANS.
The pilgrims scale the 17,600-feet Shrikhand Mahadev peak in Kullu district to pay obeisance to a giant natural rock resembling to a Shiva Lingam.
The pilgrimage would officially continue till July 25 and the authorities expect the arrival of over 20,000 pilgrims this time.
"An eight-member rescue team has been positioned along the route to handle any emergency," Manta said.
Devotees believe that Lord Shiva meditated in Shrikhand and the Pandvas too had trekked to the peak.
The 30-km one-way journey on foot starts from Jaon, some 150 km from state capital Shimla.
After passing through rugged, cold and inhospitable terrain, it concludes at Shrikhand Mahadev peak, where the devotees pay obeisance to 72-foot tall lingam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400