Sitting MLAs to lock horns in four assembly seats of Himachal
Shimla: Four constituencies of Himachal will witness a fight between two sitting MLAs in the upcoming state polls following the major altercations in boundaries of assembly segments and rotation of reserved constituencies.
Leader of the Opposition in state assembly and the oldest candidate in the fray, Vidya Stokes (85) is facing another sitting MLA Rakesh Verma of BJP in Theog constituency in a seven-cornered contest.
Seven-time MLA, Stokes, who contested seven times from Theog had shifted to Kumarsein in 2003 and won twice from there but her constituency was scrapped in delimitation and a major portion was added in Theog.
Following which, she has reverted back to Theog, where she faces sitting legislator Rakesh Verma.
BJP MLA Rajiv Bindal who won from Solan constituency in last assembly polls, had shifted to Nahan, as his seat has been reserved for SC category. Bindal is pitted against sitting MLA and Congress candidate Kush Parmar.
In Dehra, BJP has fielded Irrigation and Public Health minister Ravinder Singh Ravi whose Thural constituency has been abolished and a Congress rebel and sitting MLA, Yog Raj is also contesting from this constituency as an independent.
Similarly, Sudhir Sharma of Congress, whose Baijnath constituency has been reserved for Scheduled caste, has shifted to Dharamsala where Industries minister Krishan Kapoor is in the fray along with thirteen other candidates.
Meanwhile, a number of prominent leaders including HPCC chief V B Singh and Chief Minister P K Dhumal had to shift their constituency due to the delimitation exercise.
The Rohroo constituency of Singh has been reserved for SC candidates, following which, he shifted to Shimla (Rural).
Dhumal, whose Bamsan constituency has been scrapped moved to adjoining Hamirpur constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak