Six killed, eight injured in road mishap
Chamba (Himachal Pradesh): Six people, including five women, were on Sunday killed and eight others seriously injured when a van carrying them rolled down a hill and fell on the bed of river Ravi near Machhetar in remote tribal area of Bharmaur, police said.
The vehicle was on its way from Sinyur to Holi in the tribal region and the mishap occurred when the driver lost control over the vehicle, they said.
Superintendent of Police, Chamba, B M Sharma along with relief teams rushed to the spot and supervised the rescue operations.
The bodies of all the deceased were extricated with the help of local people and handed over to the relatives after post mortem.
Four women died on the spot while two persons succumbed to their injuries on their way to Chamba hospital, reports said.
Of the eight injured, four have been referred to Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College, Tanda at Kangra in critical condition. Two others were undergoing treatment at regional hospital, Chamba.
A case of rash and negligent driving had been registered by the police.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and Forest Minister Thakur Singh Bharmouri expressed grief over the accident and expressed sympathy with the bereaved families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees