Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track
Shimla: To cater to the tourist rush to this Himachal Pradesh town, Northern Railway has decided to run another toy train on the Kalka-Shimla track, making it the sixth one on the route, an official said Monday.
"From April 30, a special train named duplicate toy train would ply to-and-fro between Kalka in Haryana and Shimla daily. The one-way ticket is Rs.280," a railway official said.
Normally, five toy trains run daily on the Kalka-Shimla track. "This would be the sixth one and would be operational till there is a tourist rush," the official added.
The Kalka-Shimla rail track was built by the British in 1903 to ferry Europeans to-and-fro this hill town.
The ascent begins 640 metres (2,100 ft) above sea level at Kalka and crosses Himachal`s Dharampur, Barog, Solan and Kandaghat before it reaches Shimla at 7,000 ft. It passes through 102 tunnels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Leaked data, if genuine, may compromise Scorpene's stealth element: Former Navy chief
- Turkey's Erdogan says US has ''no excuse'' to keep coup suspect Gulen
- Tamil film director Chandrasekar hospitalised
- Hajj stoning to be shortened after deadly stampede
- Pakistan's court reserves verdict on Hafiz Saeed's Kashmir petition