Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track
Shimla: To cater to the tourist rush to this Himachal Pradesh town, Northern Railway has decided to run another toy train on the Kalka-Shimla track, making it the sixth one on the route, an official said Monday.
"From April 30, a special train named duplicate toy train would ply to-and-fro between Kalka in Haryana and Shimla daily. The one-way ticket is Rs.280," a railway official said.
Normally, five toy trains run daily on the Kalka-Shimla track. "This would be the sixth one and would be operational till there is a tourist rush," the official added.
The Kalka-Shimla rail track was built by the British in 1903 to ferry Europeans to-and-fro this hill town.
The ascent begins 640 metres (2,100 ft) above sea level at Kalka and crosses Himachal`s Dharampur, Barog, Solan and Kandaghat before it reaches Shimla at 7,000 ft. It passes through 102 tunnels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death