Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track
Shimla: To cater to the tourist rush to this Himachal Pradesh town, Northern Railway has decided to run another toy train on the Kalka-Shimla track, making it the sixth one on the route, an official said Monday.
"From April 30, a special train named duplicate toy train would ply to-and-fro between Kalka in Haryana and Shimla daily. The one-way ticket is Rs.280," a railway official said.
Normally, five toy trains run daily on the Kalka-Shimla track. "This would be the sixth one and would be operational till there is a tourist rush," the official added.
The Kalka-Shimla rail track was built by the British in 1903 to ferry Europeans to-and-fro this hill town.
The ascent begins 640 metres (2,100 ft) above sea level at Kalka and crosses Himachal`s Dharampur, Barog, Solan and Kandaghat before it reaches Shimla at 7,000 ft. It passes through 102 tunnels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof