SMC polls: CPI(M) congratulates Himachal unit for historic win
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Monday congratulated its Himachal Pradesh unit for its "historic win" in the mayoral elections in Shimla.
In direct elections, CPI(M) nominees trounced BJP candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Shimla.
"The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) congratulates the Party unit in Himachal Pradesh...And salutes the people of Shimla for reposing their faith in the CPI(M) candidates in the first ever direct election," the party politburo said in a statement.
Sanjay Chauhan was elected mayor with a margin of 7,868 votes over the nearest BJP candidate.
Tikendar Panwar was elected deputy mayor with a margin of 4,778 votes over the BJP candidate.
While the ruling BJP`s dream to end the 26-year Congress dominance was shattered as it fell one seat short of majority, the poll results came as a rude shock for the Congress as it not only lost the election of mayor and deputy mayor, but failed to retain its majority in the 25-member Shimla Municipal Corporation.
The victory of CPI(M) is significant as the Shimla Municipal comprises the entire Shimla Assembly constituencies and some areas of Shimla (Rural) and Kusumpti constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers