SMC polls: CPI(M) congratulates Himachal unit for historic win
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Monday congratulated its Himachal Pradesh unit for its "historic win" in the mayoral elections in Shimla.
In direct elections, CPI(M) nominees trounced BJP candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Shimla.
"The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) congratulates the Party unit in Himachal Pradesh...And salutes the people of Shimla for reposing their faith in the CPI(M) candidates in the first ever direct election," the party politburo said in a statement.
Sanjay Chauhan was elected mayor with a margin of 7,868 votes over the nearest BJP candidate.
Tikendar Panwar was elected deputy mayor with a margin of 4,778 votes over the BJP candidate.
While the ruling BJP`s dream to end the 26-year Congress dominance was shattered as it fell one seat short of majority, the poll results came as a rude shock for the Congress as it not only lost the election of mayor and deputy mayor, but failed to retain its majority in the 25-member Shimla Municipal Corporation.
The victory of CPI(M) is significant as the Shimla Municipal comprises the entire Shimla Assembly constituencies and some areas of Shimla (Rural) and Kusumpti constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway