SMC polls: CPI(M) congratulates Himachal unit for historic win
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Monday congratulated its Himachal Pradesh unit for its "historic win" in the mayoral elections in Shimla.
In direct elections, CPI(M) nominees trounced BJP candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Shimla.
"The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) congratulates the Party unit in Himachal Pradesh...And salutes the people of Shimla for reposing their faith in the CPI(M) candidates in the first ever direct election," the party politburo said in a statement.
Sanjay Chauhan was elected mayor with a margin of 7,868 votes over the nearest BJP candidate.
Tikendar Panwar was elected deputy mayor with a margin of 4,778 votes over the BJP candidate.
While the ruling BJP`s dream to end the 26-year Congress dominance was shattered as it fell one seat short of majority, the poll results came as a rude shock for the Congress as it not only lost the election of mayor and deputy mayor, but failed to retain its majority in the 25-member Shimla Municipal Corporation.
The victory of CPI(M) is significant as the Shimla Municipal comprises the entire Shimla Assembly constituencies and some areas of Shimla (Rural) and Kusumpti constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?