SMC polls: CPI(M) congratulates Himachal unit for historic win
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Monday congratulated its Himachal Pradesh unit for its "historic win" in the mayoral elections in Shimla.
In direct elections, CPI(M) nominees trounced BJP candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Shimla.
"The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) congratulates the Party unit in Himachal Pradesh...And salutes the people of Shimla for reposing their faith in the CPI(M) candidates in the first ever direct election," the party politburo said in a statement.
Sanjay Chauhan was elected mayor with a margin of 7,868 votes over the nearest BJP candidate.
Tikendar Panwar was elected deputy mayor with a margin of 4,778 votes over the BJP candidate.
While the ruling BJP`s dream to end the 26-year Congress dominance was shattered as it fell one seat short of majority, the poll results came as a rude shock for the Congress as it not only lost the election of mayor and deputy mayor, but failed to retain its majority in the 25-member Shimla Municipal Corporation.
The victory of CPI(M) is significant as the Shimla Municipal comprises the entire Shimla Assembly constituencies and some areas of Shimla (Rural) and Kusumpti constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy