SMC polls: CPI(M) congratulates Himachal unit for historic win
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Monday congratulated its Himachal Pradesh unit for its "historic win" in the mayoral elections in Shimla.
In direct elections, CPI(M) nominees trounced BJP candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Shimla.
"The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) congratulates the Party unit in Himachal Pradesh...And salutes the people of Shimla for reposing their faith in the CPI(M) candidates in the first ever direct election," the party politburo said in a statement.
Sanjay Chauhan was elected mayor with a margin of 7,868 votes over the nearest BJP candidate.
Tikendar Panwar was elected deputy mayor with a margin of 4,778 votes over the BJP candidate.
While the ruling BJP`s dream to end the 26-year Congress dominance was shattered as it fell one seat short of majority, the poll results came as a rude shock for the Congress as it not only lost the election of mayor and deputy mayor, but failed to retain its majority in the 25-member Shimla Municipal Corporation.
The victory of CPI(M) is significant as the Shimla Municipal comprises the entire Shimla Assembly constituencies and some areas of Shimla (Rural) and Kusumpti constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note