Sonia slams BJP, says no development in Himachal
Shimla: Unruffled by the BJP campaign against Congress on corruption, Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday lashed out at the party for adopting double standards and not taking action against its own leaders facing graft charges.
"BJP will have to be answerable and accountable to people and tell what action it has taken against its own leaders facing charges of corruption," the AICC President said.
Addressing an election rally at the historic Ridge Ground here, she said, "Congress is the only party which has taken strict legal action against corrupt leaders but the BJP is only talking about corruption and not taking any action against its own leaders".
Sonia claimed credit for bringing the Right to Information (RTI) Act, which has proved an effective tool against corruption.
"The BJP is not against corruption but against Congress and using it as a tool against the party," she said.
Suggesting that BJP`s record on checking corruption was not bright, she alleged that the opposition party stopped the passage of the Lokpal Bill in the Rajya Sabha, despite the fact that the legislation was an important tool in the fight against graft.
Gandhi also utilised the occasion to propagate the cause of FDI in retail, asserting that the move would help the hill state known for its horticulture products, specially apples.
"It is especially beneficial for farmers in Himachal as shortage of cold storages would be over and produce of farmers will not rot," she said.
Accusing the BJP of playing politics on FDI, she said that the chief ministers were free to implement or not allow FDI in retail but the BJP was unnecessarily making an issue out of it.
Admitting that price rise is a serious problem affecting
the common man, Sonia said the UPA government is taking various steps to check price rise but the states are also duty bound to bring down prices.
"The Congress government has decided to give three more subsidised LPG cylinders raising the number to nine but why the BJP government in Himachal has not done so and slashed VAT," she asked.
Accusing the BJP government in the state of not utilising the liberal financial assistance of crores of rupees given by the Centre for various developmental programmes and schemes, Sonia said, "no development is visible in the state and people are suffering".
The UPA government gave massive assistance under JNNURM for development of Shimla town but nothing has been done and funds under MNREGA and road projects have not been utilised, she said.
Claiming credit for development of Himachal, she said the Centre helped the state with an open heart and gave several major projects to it besides opening medical colleges, Central Universities and Fashion technology Institutes. She urged the people to bid "goodbye" to the BJP and bring back Congress for speedy and uniform development.
Union Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma hit out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for using "intemperate" language and said that it only reflected "his culture and thinking".
"Modi has brought the level of political debate to the lowest ebb and thrown to winds all norms of decency and BJP should apologise to the people for this".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year