Sri Lankan President ends Shimla visit
Shimla: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Friday left for New Delhi after a one-and-a-half-day private visit to this Himachal Pradesh state capital.
"President Mahinda Rajapaksa, his wife Shiranthi, their family members, and ministers and other dignitaries accompanying him left in choppers of the Indian Air Force for Chandigarh this (Friday) morning, from where he would again fly to New Delhi," Himachal Pradesh Health Minister Rajeev Bindal told a news agency.
Rajapaksa boarded the chopper at the Annadale helipad of the Indian Army here.
One of his aides said: "The visit of Rajapaksa was quite a memorable one and relaxing too."
Rajapaksa reached here Thursday morning and stayed at the Oberoi Group`s heritage hotel Wildflower Hall on the outskirts of the town.
On Thursday afternoon, Rajapaksa and his colleagues went for a short trek near Wildflower Hall, while his wife Shiranthi spent more than two hours strolling through the streets of the town.
"It is nice and homely to be in this town," Shiranthi Rajapaksa told IANS while taking a casual stroll on the Mall, the main street of this former British summer capital.
"This is my first visit to the town and the hill state too. It`s, of course, a memorable one," she added.
Shiranthi Rajapaksa also took back some woollens from the shops, especially shawls.
Visibly satisfied with the hospitality of the local people, she remarked: "Look at the overwhelming response of the people."
Later in the evening, the couple attended a reception hosted by Governor Urmila Singh in the Barnes Court (Raj Bhavan). Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal too attended the reception.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says