Stage set for first phase of panchayat polls in Himachal
Shimla: An estimated 15 lakh electorates
will exercise their franchise in the first phase of panchayat
polls in Himachal Pradesh on Tuesday.
In a total of 1091 panchayats, close to 15 lakh voters
would exercise their franchise at 6895 polling booths for
election of President, Vice president, Panch, Zila Parishad
and Block Samiti members, State Election Commission sources
The post of President and Vice President, for the
first time, would be held through direct vote with total
number of nominations crossing 90,000.
A record number of contestants are in the field for
the post of Vice President.
The women`s quota has been increased from 33 to 50 per
cent and consequently, about 50,000 women are in the fray,
In the second phase of polling on December 30, 1072
panchayats would go to polls and about 15.50 lakh electorates
will exercise their franchise at 6365 booths.
The elections were being held in 3195 out of 3243
panchayats but 110 panchayats have been elected unanimously
and election in 48 panchayats in snowbound areas have been
deferred, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss