Stop distributing bags with pictures of leaders: CEC to HP govt
Shimla: With the model code of conduct in force in poll-bound Himachal, the Election Commission on Sunday asked the state government to stop distribution of carry bags, free of cost, to PDS consumers with picture of former Premier AB Vajpayee inscribed on them.
The scheme to distribute free carry bags to 16 lakh PDS card holders, launched on August 15 last, had been put on hold till the model code of conduct was in force in the hill state, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said.
Sampath, who was here to review arrangements for the assembly election, said "henceforth, no bags will be issued to PDS consumers with pictures of any political leader inscribed on them."
He said the Commission had received a complaint in this regard and no such free bags would be distributed from today.
The Commission had also received complaints regarding violation of the model code of conduct by the ruling BJP and these would be looked into and action taken, if warranted, the CEC said.
He, however, expressed satisfaction over arrangements made by the state government for the assembly election slated for November four.
Sampath said the Commission had received complaints about "bias reporting" by local Doordarshan Kendra and would take up the matter with the Union Information and Broadcasting ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win