Stop distributing bags with pictures of leaders: CEC to HP govt
Shimla: With the model code of conduct in force in poll-bound Himachal, the Election Commission on Sunday asked the state government to stop distribution of carry bags, free of cost, to PDS consumers with picture of former Premier AB Vajpayee inscribed on them.
The scheme to distribute free carry bags to 16 lakh PDS card holders, launched on August 15 last, had been put on hold till the model code of conduct was in force in the hill state, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said.
Sampath, who was here to review arrangements for the assembly election, said "henceforth, no bags will be issued to PDS consumers with pictures of any political leader inscribed on them."
He said the Commission had received a complaint in this regard and no such free bags would be distributed from today.
The Commission had also received complaints regarding violation of the model code of conduct by the ruling BJP and these would be looked into and action taken, if warranted, the CEC said.
He, however, expressed satisfaction over arrangements made by the state government for the assembly election slated for November four.
Sampath said the Commission had received complaints about "bias reporting" by local Doordarshan Kendra and would take up the matter with the Union Information and Broadcasting ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown