Temperature dips below 20 deg C in parts of Himachal
Shimla: The biting cold wave conditions remained unabated in Himachal Pradesh as temperature in some parts of the state dipped below 20 degree Celsius.
The high altitude tribal areas, covered under 150 to 180 cm thick blanket of snow, shivered under arctic conditions with minimum temperatures staying between minus 18 and minus 28 deg C, paralysing normal life.
Tribal areas reeled under bone chilling cold with Keylong recording a low of minus 17 deg C.
The vehicular traffic remained disrupted in upper areas of Shimla, Kullu, Chamba and Sirmaur districts. Several areas, including Jubbal, Kotkhai, Rohroo, Kinnaur, Narkanda, Dodra-Kwar, Lahaul, Spiti, Pin and Hangrang tribal valleys, Solang nallah and Sarahan remained cut off from rest of the state.
Slippery road conditions in Shimla and other places made walking perilous for pedestrians and at least two dozen persons sustained fractured and other injuries.
Kalpa in tribal Kinnaur district recorded minimum temperature at minus 9.2 deg, while Manali shivered under unusual cold conditions with mercury dipping to minus 6 deg, followed by Bhuntar minus 1 deg, Solan and Sundernagar minus 0.7 deg, Shimla 1.6 deg Palampur 2.7 deg, Una 3 deg and Nahan and Dharmasala 4.5 deg, 3 deg below normal.
Maximum day temperatures rose marginally as bright sun shone over the region and Una was hottest in the region with a maximum of 23 deg while Sundernagar recorded a high of 20 deg, folflowed by Dharamsala 18.4 deg, Solan 18 deg, Bhuntar 17.8 deg, Nahan 15.8 deg and Shimla 13 deg C.
The MeT office here has predicted dry weather in the state during the next 48 hours inspite of a fresh feeble Western Disturbance (WD) as an upper air system likely to affect the western Himalayan region from tomorrow onwards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured