Three held in Manali gang-rape were Nepalis: Police
Manali: All the three accused in the gang-rape of a 30-year-old US national in this Himachal Pradesh tourist resort, who were arrested early Thursday, were Nepali nationals, police said.
The three arrested people are all truck drivers, identified as Arjun, Lucky and Som Bahadur, Superintendent of Police Vinod Dhawan told a news agency.
He said that although they were Nepali nationals, they had been living in the state for a long time.
"Two of them were arrested from Patlikuhl (20 km before Manali) and one from Mandi town," Dhawan added.
The victim, who reached this tourist resort along with three other women just a day before the crime, alleged that she was early Tuesday repeatedly raped by three men, who offered her a lift late in the night when she could not find a taxi.
Police said the men drove the woman to a secluded spot where they raped and robbed her.
Meanwhile, a team of forensic experts collected samples from the scene, which were sent for examination.
"The victim`s medical examination report confirmed sexual assault," Dhawan said.
The police on Wednesday seized the vehicle used in the crime.
This incident brought back memories of 2009, when an 18-year-old British volunteer teacher was raped by two cab drivers in Palampur town of Kangra district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read