Tibetan General Meeting to be held in Dharamshala from May 21
Dharamsala: The Second Tibetan National
General Meeting would be held here from May 21 to 23 to give
final shape for transition of political power from Dalai Lama
to elected representatives.
The decision to call the general meeting was taken at the
meeting of Kasang (Tibetan Parliament) yesterday, Tibetan
Parliamentary Secretariat today said.
The two-day meeting would discuss suggestions of the
`Constitution Amendment Drafting Committee` for changes in the
`Charter of Tibetans in Exile` to enable the Dalai Lama to
give up political duties as per his wishes.
Proceedings of the general meeting was finalised by
members of the Kashag and Tibetan Parliament`s Standing
Committee presided over by Speaker Pempa Tsering.
According to Tsering, the general meeting will be held in
accordance with the final resolution passed during the 11th
session of the Tibetan Parliament to follow up the Dalai
Lama`s proposal to devolve his political authority to the
democratically elected Tibetan leadership.
On the first two days of the meeting, separate committees
will be formed to deliberate on recommendations of the
`Charter Amendment Drafting Committee` and relevant proposals
to be made to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Each committee will present its report on the final day of
The Tibetan Parliament will apprise His Holiness the Dalai
Lama about the suggestions of the meeting on 24 May.
Accordingly, the recommendations concerning the amendment
of the Charter will be tabled in an additional session of the
14th Tibetan Parliament for final approval.
The Dalai Lama had conveyed his decision to give up his
political responsibilities to the exiled Parliament on March
14 with request to make suitable amendments in Tibetan Charter
to pave the way for transition of power to elected people.
The Parliament then passed a resolution on March 18
requesting the Dalai Lama to reconsider his decision but he
refused and returned the resolution to the Parliament.
The Dalai Lama, in his March 10 statement, said he would
devolve his political authority to an elected leader.
Finally on March 25, the Tibetan Parliament agreed to
amend its Charter to grant his wish but proposed that he
continues as the `symbolic head` of the exiled Tibetan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM