Tibetan special general meeting begins in Dharamsala
Dharamsala: A special general meeting of Tibetans, the second such assembly ever since the community took refuge in India, started here Tuesday in the absence of their spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
432 delegates from 26 countries, including observers from China and Taiwan and participants from Europe and America, assembled at the TCV School Auditorium here to discuss issues related to Tibetans.
Tibetan political leader Lobsang Sangay, who is presiding over in absence of Dalai Lama after the latter retired from active politics last year, lauded the international community`s support to their cause and called for "concrete action" on their behalf.
The meeting will discuss ways to harness Tibet`s geopolitical significance for garnering global support, besides deciding on strategy to convince the Buddhist population in China and seek their help for an amicable solution to the problem through dialogue, he said.
Addressing the gathering, Speaker of Tibetan parliament Pempa Sering said the agenda of the meet is to discuss ways and means to deal with various "critical" issues inside Tibet.
Some 140,000 Tibetans live in exile around the world, out of which, nearly 1,00,000 people live in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch