Tibetan teenager dies; protests in Dharamsala
Dharamsala: A teenager died in the 70th case of immolation since January 2009 in Tibet as thousands of Tibetans protested here on Sunday against Chinese rule.
Tibetans living here said the person immolated himself on Saturday in Gansu province, the seventh such case in four days, taking the total number of deaths by burning since 2009 to 70.
On Sunday, thousands of Tibetan exiles gathered here to mourn those who have died protesting in the land of their origin.
"China`s new leaders must recognise that their hardline policies in Tibet have utterly failed and only through dialogue can a peaceful and lasting solution be found," said Lobsang Sangay, the elected leader of the Tibetan people.
Sangay, the political successor to the Dalai Lama, said: "We firmly believe that an end to repression will effectively end the cycle self-immolation."
Lobsang Choedak, the Central Tibetan Administration spokesperson, told a news agency: "The situation in Tibetan-dominated areas is very, very tense. Tibet is literally burning again."
He said the Chinese had launched a massive crackdown on Tibetans.
"Whatever information we have suggests that the situation is quite grim and needs immediate global intervention," Choedak said.
Tibetans have been demanding the return of the Dalai Lama, who lives in exile in India, and freedom from China.
The Tibetan leadership has clarified that it has discouraged "drastic action" against Chinese rule.
The Dalai Lama fled Tibet with many of his supporters and took refuge in India when Chinese troops moved into Lhasa in 1959. India is home to around 1,00,000 Tibetans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS