Tibetans want India to give them right to vote
McLeodganj: In a bid to strengthen their fight for Tibet, Tibetans living in exile in India have demanded the right to vote and also contest polls, a report said on Friday.
Besides demanding Indian citizenship, Tibetans living in India, who have the status of "foreigners", also want to see their spiritual leader Dalai Lama speaking in Parliament.
The demands, raised by Tibetans in-exile attending a four-day special general meeting organised here by the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), would be passed as resolutions on Friday, a report in a newspaper said. The meet, which ends on Friday, has witnessed more than 400 Tibetan participants from across the world.
The newspaper further quoted Sonam Dorjee, a member of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), as saying: "Once we get voting rights, we can strongly lobby with the Indian government to take up the Tibet issue with China. We want Indian citizenship just like the US and Switzerland provides citizenship in their country. We will be taken seriously by political parties and the ruling government only when we become vote banks”.
The participants further urged the Dalai Lama to visit Tibet following a series of self-immolations by Tibetans in Lhasa and other parts of Tibet.
The Dalai Lama, 77, said the immolations, witnessed in Tibetan dominated areas of China, were a symptom of China`s repressive rule.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list