Trouble for Cong as Virbhadra quits HP poll panel
New Delhi: Spelling trouble for ruling Congress party, former Union Minister and its senior leader Virbhadra Singh has offered to resign as the chairman of the campaign and manifesto committee for elections in Himachal Pradesh.
According to sources, former Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister is upset over reports that Congress high command is mulling not to name him as the party’s chief ministerial candidate in the next assembly election due to this year.
Singh, on other hand, wants to be projected as Congress’ chief ministerial candidate and has threatened to quit the party if his demands are not met.
Singh`s supporters are upset with the Congress high command for making Union Minister Anand Sharma, his rival in state politics, the chairman of the poll committee.
As per reports, Virbhadra Singh has decided to skip Congress strategy meeting scheduled to be held later today in Shimla.
Singh’s decision to boycott the crucial Congress party meet comes nearly a month after he resigned from the Union Cabinet as Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises following a court order to frame charges against him and his wife Pratibha Singh in connection with a corruption case.
Singh is under scanner for misusing his office when he was the Himachal Pradesh chief minister in 1989 and granting favours to industrialists.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post