Trouble for Cong as Virbhadra quits HP poll panel
New Delhi: Spelling trouble for ruling Congress party, former Union Minister and its senior leader Virbhadra Singh has offered to resign as the chairman of the campaign and manifesto committee for elections in Himachal Pradesh.
According to sources, former Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister is upset over reports that Congress high command is mulling not to name him as the party’s chief ministerial candidate in the next assembly election due to this year.
Singh, on other hand, wants to be projected as Congress’ chief ministerial candidate and has threatened to quit the party if his demands are not met.
Singh`s supporters are upset with the Congress high command for making Union Minister Anand Sharma, his rival in state politics, the chairman of the poll committee.
As per reports, Virbhadra Singh has decided to skip Congress strategy meeting scheduled to be held later today in Shimla.
Singh’s decision to boycott the crucial Congress party meet comes nearly a month after he resigned from the Union Cabinet as Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises following a court order to frame charges against him and his wife Pratibha Singh in connection with a corruption case.
Singh is under scanner for misusing his office when he was the Himachal Pradesh chief minister in 1989 and granting favours to industrialists.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security