True, transparent journalism should be encouraged: Virbhadra Singh
Dharamsala: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Thursday expressed concern over the practice of "yellow journalism" in big media houses, and said true and transparent journalism should be encouraged so that vital socio-economic issues could be highlighted in right perspective.
Presiding over the 34th annual function of `Himachal Kesari` newspaper here, Singh said, "Small newspapers were playing important role by publishing stories on developmental and public welfare oriented policies of the government in the farthest corners of the state."
The government was providing all possible assistance to these small newspapers and periodicals who were working with zeal despite financial constraints, he said.
The Chief Minister honoured various personalities with the Himachal Kesari Award. The awardees included Karan Singh (MLA) for politics, Devesh Kumar (Deputy Commissioner of Mandi) for administration, and Abhishek Dullar (Shimla SP) for police services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security