Twelve die in Himachal Pradesh accident
Shimla: Twelve people, all belonging to a village in Himachal Pradesh`s Chamba district, were killed when a private vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a 700-metre-deep gorge on Sunday night, police officials said.
All 12 bodies were recovered early Monday from the wreckage of the vehicle, an official told a news agency.
The victims, all from Kuthar village, were returning in a multi-utility vehicle after playing a cricket match.
Police officials said the accident occurred Sunday night in Badgran panchayat in Bharmour subdivision, some 85 km from district headquarters Chamba.
Eyewitnesses said the authorities had a tough time extricating the victims from the gorge.
Chamba is one of remotest places in the state and scarcity and low frequency of passenger buses in the district leads to overcrowding of vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar