Twelve die in Himachal Pradesh accident
Shimla: Twelve people, all belonging to a village in Himachal Pradesh`s Chamba district, were killed when a private vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a 700-metre-deep gorge on Sunday night, police officials said.
All 12 bodies were recovered early Monday from the wreckage of the vehicle, an official told a news agency.
The victims, all from Kuthar village, were returning in a multi-utility vehicle after playing a cricket match.
Police officials said the accident occurred Sunday night in Badgran panchayat in Bharmour subdivision, some 85 km from district headquarters Chamba.
Eyewitnesses said the authorities had a tough time extricating the victims from the gorge.
Chamba is one of remotest places in the state and scarcity and low frequency of passenger buses in the district leads to overcrowding of vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town