Twelve die in Himachal Pradesh accident
Shimla: Twelve people, all belonging to a village in Himachal Pradesh`s Chamba district, were killed when a private vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a 700-metre-deep gorge on Sunday night, police officials said.
All 12 bodies were recovered early Monday from the wreckage of the vehicle, an official told a news agency.
The victims, all from Kuthar village, were returning in a multi-utility vehicle after playing a cricket match.
Police officials said the accident occurred Sunday night in Badgran panchayat in Bharmour subdivision, some 85 km from district headquarters Chamba.
Eyewitnesses said the authorities had a tough time extricating the victims from the gorge.
Chamba is one of remotest places in the state and scarcity and low frequency of passenger buses in the district leads to overcrowding of vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan