Two of 40 Indian workers kidnapped in Iraq are from Himachal Pradesh
Dharamsala: Two of the 40 Indian workers kidnapped in the Mosul town of strife-torn Iraq hail from the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, a senior official said on Thursday.
"The details of these two boys have been flashed to the Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi for rescue works," Kangra District Deputy Commissioner C Puol Rasu said here.
"Aman Kumar of Passu village and Inderjit of Bhataid village work with Tariq Nur Alhuda company at Mosul in Iraq. And they could not be contacted by their families since the trouble began there," he said.
These boys were working on a construction project in Mosul in northern Iraq which has been captured by Sunni militant group ISIS, he said.
Forty Indian construction workers have been kidnapped in the oil-rich Mosul town, presumably by Islamic militants but no ransom demands have been received yet.
The External Affairs Ministry yesterday said India was in touch with various humanitarian agencies, the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) and Iraqi government to gather more information about the kidnapping.
Iraq is witnessing serious strife with militants, backed by Al-Qaeda, capturing various cities and marching towards Baghdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened