Urmila Singh takes oath as 23rd Governor of Himachal
Shimla: Urmila Singh on Monday took oath as
the Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
She was administered the oath by Acting Chief Justice
of Himachal Pradesh High Court R B Mishra in a function at the
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, Leader of Opposition
in the state Assembly Vidya Stokes and a host of state
ministers and senior officials were present during the
The ceremony coincided with 40th statehood day of HP.
It was on January 25, 1971 that HP became the 18th state of
Singh (63), who was Chairperson of National Scheduled
Tribes Commission before becoming the 23rd Governor of the
hill state, is the fourth woman to hold the office.
Sheila Kaul, V S Ramadevi and Prabha Rau had served as
governors in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...