Urmila Singh takes oath as 23rd Governor of Himachal
Shimla: Urmila Singh on Monday took oath as
the Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
She was administered the oath by Acting Chief Justice
of Himachal Pradesh High Court R B Mishra in a function at the
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, Leader of Opposition
in the state Assembly Vidya Stokes and a host of state
ministers and senior officials were present during the
The ceremony coincided with 40th statehood day of HP.
It was on January 25, 1971 that HP became the 18th state of
Singh (63), who was Chairperson of National Scheduled
Tribes Commission before becoming the 23rd Governor of the
hill state, is the fourth woman to hold the office.
Sheila Kaul, V S Ramadevi and Prabha Rau had served as
governors in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli