US national gang-rape: Himachal court convicts three Nepalese
Kullu: In less than six months of the gang-rape of a 30-year-old US national in Manali, a court here sentenced three Nepalese youths to 20 years of rigorous imprisonment for the crime, an official said on Wednesday.
District and Session Judge Purender Vaidya Tuesday sentenced Arjun, Lucky and Som Bahadur Tamang and imposed on them a fine of Rs10,000 each. In case of default on payment, they will have to further undergo a two-year jail term, an investigating officer told a news agency.
Police filed a chargesheet against the accused, all drivers of Nepali nationality, within a week of the gang-rape June 4.
The woman who reached Manali, some 500 km from the national capital Delhi, with three other women a day before the crime, alleged that she was repeatedly raped by the three men who offered her a lift in a vehicle early June 4 when she could not find a taxi on the outskirts of Manali.
Police said the men drove the woman to a secluded spot to rape and rob her.
The accused have been convicted with rape, abduction and other relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The picturesque Kullu Valley in Himachal Pradesh is known for attracting backpackers, especially from the US, Britain, Italy, France and Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25