US senator concerned over situation in Tibet
Dharamsala: Expressing concern over the situation in Tibet, US Senator Harry Reid has said "what is happening there is very sad", the Central Tibetan Administration, based here, said Friday.
Visiting Tibetan prime minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay called on the senator in his office in Washington Thursday and discussed the current situation in Tibet.
"I have met his holiness the Dalai Lama several times. He is a remarkable figure. What is happening in Tibet is very sad," a Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) statement quoting Reid said.
The forthcoming visit of Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, to Washington was also discussed.
Sangay explained the efforts of his administration to draw attention to and resolve the Tibet issue, it said.
According to the CTA, over 120 Tibetans have set themselves on fire since February 2009 in Tibet.
The common cry of all self-immolators is the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet and freedom for Tibetans.
The CTA reiterated that it was not encouraging self-immolations and asked China to send an investigation team here to prove otherwise.
The Dalai Lama, 78, has lived in India since 1959 when he fled his homeland after a failed uprising against the Communist rule. The government-in-exile is based here but is not recognised by any country, including India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read