US tourist gang-rape: Himachal police search for truckers
Zee Media Bureau
Manali: The Himachal Pradesh police on Wednesday continued to search for the driver and his two accomplices involved in the gang-rape of a US tourist here.
The police have reportedly identified the vehicle used in the attack and collected forensic evidence.
The 30-year-old US national on Tuesday alleged that she was gang-raped by three men in this Himachal Pradesh tourist resort, police said.
Police have constituted a special team to investigate the incident. The woman reached Manali, some 250 km from the state capital Shimla, on Monday.
The woman, who is now staying at a local hotel under police protection, will likely meet US embassy officials later today.
The victim lodged a complaint with police that she was picked up by the men, aged between 18 and 25 years, in a commercial vehicle when she was going back to her guest house after visiting a friend early Tuesday, Superintendent of Police Vinod Dhawan told a news agency.
He said the accused took the victim, who was on her maiden visit, to a secluded spot and gang-raped her.
Later, the victim was dropped on the outskirts of the town.
"She was medically examined and the report confirmed sexual assault. We have zeroed in on the suspects as per the information provided by the victim," Dhawan said.
No arrest had been made so far.
In the complaint, the woman reported theft of cash and valuables.
Meanwhile, police chief B Kamal Kumar told reporters in Shimla that a special investigative team was constituted to speed up the probe.
Earlier, an 18-year-old British volunteer teacher was raped by two cab drivers in Palampur town in Kangra district in 2009.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach