Vigilance to probe phone tapping: Himachal Pradesh CM
Shimla: Less than a day after the completion of a probe into the alleged phone tapping during the previous BJP regime in Himachal Pradesh, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Saturday said that the investigation would be handed over to the state vigilance and anti-corruption bureau.
"The government is going to hand over the probe to the vigilance and anti-corruption bureau," the Chief Minister told reporters here.
"Strict action would be initiated against those officials who were involved in this act," he added.
The second and final report into the illegal phone tapping, allegedly at the behest of the Prem Kumar Dhumal-led government, on Friday said 350 telephone calls were tapped in six months, ahead of the Assembly Elections.
The total number of phones tapped, mainly of Congress leaders, government functionaries and journalists in violation of the Indian Telegraph Act, was over 1,100, said officials.
The reports, prepared by the state forensic science laboratory, were on the basis of data retrieved from seized computer hard disks of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and vigilance bureau.
Chief Secretary Sudipto Roy told reporters that the reports comprised conversations recorded during different periods.
Last month, the forensic lab revealed that CID officials had put 789 telephones under surveillance.
Official sources said out of 789 phones, permission was granted by the home department only in 34 cases.
Sources said that according to the first report, most of the conversations were of Congress leaders when they were in the opposition, while the second report was on tapping conversations of government officials only.
The conversations of some BJP dissidents and journalists also figured.
Director General of Police ID Bhandari, who was heading the CID when the illegal phone tapping took place, was removed immediately after the first report.
"The privacy of certain political leaders was infringed upon. The number of phones tapped clearly indicated the malafide intention of the then government," Singh said.
Clarifying his position, Dhumal said permission for tapping the phones was given by the home department and the Chief Minister`s office had nothing to do with it.
The computers in the CID and vigilance bureau offices were seized on the night of December 24-25 last year, hours before Singh assumed charge as Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM