Vigilance to probe phone tapping: Virbhadra Singh
Shimla: Less than a day after the completion of a probe into the alleged mass phone tapping during the previous BJP regime in Himachal Pradesh, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Saturday said that the investigation would be handed over to the state vigilance and anti-corruption bureau.
"The government is going to hand over the probe to the vigilance and anti-corruption bureau," the chief minister told reporters here.
"Strict action would be initiated against those officials who were involved in this act," he added.
"The privacy of certain political leaders was infringed upon. The number of phones tapped clearly indicated the malafide intention of the then government," Singh said.
He alleged that even his phones had been tapped and rooms bugged when he was in the opposition.
Singh said the names of people who were under surveillance would be made public after the probe.
The second and final report into the illegal phone tapping, allegedly at the behest of the Prem Kumar Dhumal-led government, Friday said 350 telephones were tapped in six months, ahead of the assembly elections November last year.
The total number of phones tapped, mainly of Congress leaders, government functionaries and journalists in violation of the Indian Telegraph Act, was over 1,100, said officials.
The reports, prepared by the state forensic science laboratory, were on the basis of data retrieved from seized computer hard disks of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and vigilance bureau.
Chief secretary Sudipto Roy told reporters here that the reports comprised conversations recorded during different periods.
He said the government would try to complete the probe into phone tapping within three months.
"We are not going for immediate registration of an FIR (first information report). We will take such a step only when we are able to pinpoint somebody," he said.
Last month, the forensic lab revealed that CID officials had put 789 telephones under surveillance.
Official sources said out of 789 phones, permission was granted by the home department only in 34 cases.
Sources said that according to the first report, most of the conversations were of Congress leaders when they were in the opposition, while the second report was on tapping conversations of government officials only.
Conversations of some BJP dissidents and journalists also figured in the report.
Director General of Police ID Bhandari, who was heading the CID when the illegal phone tapping took place, was removed immediately after the first report.
Dhumal said permission for tapping the phones was given by the home department and the chief minister`s office had nothing to do with it.
The computers in the CID and vigilance bureau offices were seized on the night of December 24-25 last year, hours before Singh assumed charge as chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach