Virbhadra flays Dhumal for spending Rs 3 cr for IPL matches
Shimla: Union Minister Virbhadra Singh on Sunday
criticised the Himachal Pradesh government for spending Rs
three crore from the state exchequer for hosting IPL matches
"IPL (Indian Premier League) is a pure business venture
and an effective means of earning huge profits... there is no
rationale of the state spending Rs three crore for hosting two
IPL matches at Dharamsala," Singh said at the closing ceremony
of a cricket tournament at Nankhari in Shimla.
Players in the IPL championship are chosen at a hefty
price through auction. "This is shear wastage of public
money," Singh said.
The state government had recently provided Rs 3 crore to
spruce up Dharamsala for hosting two IPL matches (the last of
which is scheduled between Kings XI Punjab and Chennai Super
The matches are hosted by Himachal Pradesh Cricket
Association headed by Anurag Thakur, an MP and the Chief
The state government on one hand cries for lack of fund
to even pay arrears to the employees on time, on the other
hand money is wasted on IPL matches, Singh, five-time CM of
the state in the past, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM