Virbhadra Singh acquitted in CD case by court ahead of swearing-in
Shimla: In a major relief to Himachal Chief Minister-designate Virbhadra Singh, a court here on Monday acquitted him of charges of corruption and conspiracy in the much-publicised audio CD case, a day before his swearing in for the office for a record sixth time.
"No case is made out as not even a single witness supported the prosecution evidence," Special Judge B L Soni said pronouncing the judgement in an open court absolving the Congress leader in over 23-year-old case after a trial that started in September.
78-year-old Singh, who had gone to Delhi to consult AICC president Sonia Gandhi and other leaders in connection with formation of his ministry, rushed to the court after landing at Annandale helipad.
He was present in the jam-packed court when the judgement was delivered.
The case related to an audio CD that allegedly contained a conversation of Singh and his wife with IAS officer Mohinder Lal and some industrialists regarding monetary transactions for them to invest in the state.
Charges of conspiracy and corruption were framed by the court on June 25, this year, following which Singh had resigned as Union Steel Minister.
The court had framed charges against Singh and his wife under Section 120 B (conspiracy) of IPC and Sections 7, 11 and 13 of Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA), dealing with bribery and criminal misconduct.
The Special Judge started regular trial in the case from September this year and the last hearing was held on December 22.
Singh, who is credited for Congress` win in Himachal Pradesh, had denied any wrongdoing and maintained that he was being framed because of political vendetta.
The case against Singh goes back to 1989 when he was Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. Singh and his wife were booked on August 3, 2009, on the basis of the CD released by his arch rival in Congress and former minister Vijay Singh Mankotia in May 2007.
The prosecution filed the case in the court of special judge in October 2010.
Rubbishing the allegations, Singh had said that the case was "totally fabricated" by the then BJP government in the state which is "after my blood".
"This is a concocted, totally fabricated case. The CD is not authenticated. They have not compared my voice. I don`t care for my office at all. I don`t want to embarrass my party and my Prime Minister," he had told reporters in Shimla after the charges were framed against him.
The CD pertaining to the case against Singh was also played in the court during the hearing.
During the trial two key witnesses -- Kapil Mohan of Mohan Meakin Breweries and P C Jain, Vice President of Ambuja Cements Ltd, had retracted from the statement recorded by the police saying that they did not give any such statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly