Virbhadra Singh denies role in land deal with DLF
Shimla: Congress leader and five-time Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh on Friday denied the allegation that he violated land laws to favour his brother-in-law to sell land parcels to realty major DLF for an ultra-luxury housing project in the state.
"It`s a smear campaign of (Prem Kumar) Dhumal, Arun Jaitely and Anurag Thakur to malign my image in the run-up to the polls," he told reporters here. Elections to the state Assembly are slated for November 4.
"The election should be fought on the issue of development," the Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee chief said, adding that since his adversaries chose to defame him, he would pay them back in their own coin.
Some media reports have alleged that as the chief minister from 2003-07, Virbhadra Singh favoured his brother-in-law Arun Sen by granting him permission to sell land to realtor DLF in violation of laws.
The Bharatiya Janata Party earlier attacked the Congress leader on Ispat Industries payoff scam, wherein a diary entry of Rs.2.28 crore was marked against the name "VBS" during the period when he was the steel minister in the central government.
The results of the elections will be declared on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok