Virbhadra Singh rules out resignation
New Delhi: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Wednesday ruled out his resignation in the wake of Congress` defeat in the state even as his Assam counterpart Tarun Gogoi declared plans to quit tomorrow.
"It is a defeat of the party and not the Chief Minister. Why should I resign? I do not think it is a moral responsibility to resign because issues involved were beyond my control," Singh told reporters.
Congress has lost all the four seats in the hilly state including Mandi from where Singh`s wife Pratibha was the party candidate and sitting MP. There have been a dozen odd states where the Congress could not win a single seat and these include major ones like Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
Singh`s statement came close on the heels of Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi announcing his plans to submit his resignation to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi tomorrow.
"I have sought an appointment to meet the Congress president. If I get it tomorrow, I will submit my resignation to her," Gogoi told reporters here while replying to queries.
Gogoi, however, said he does not know whether Gandhi will accept his resignation or not as he has not spoken to her yet.
After Congress got its lowest ever tally in Assam -- 3 out of 14 Lok Sabha seats -- in the recently concluded Lok Sabha elections, 78-year-old Gogoi has said on Saturday that he would resign within a week.
The three-time Chief Minister has already admitted to "arrogance and complacency" but said he would not leave politics and would continue to work for party`s recovery.
Sources said Congress in Assam has been plagued by factionalism and dissidence with State Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma allegedly leading the anti-Gogoi campaign.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed