Virbhadra Singh to contest Himachal Pradesh polls
New Delhi: Breaking its tradition of not allowing a sitting Member of Parliament (MP) to contest an Assembly Election, the Congress on Saturday gave green light to Virbhadra Singh for contesting the upcoming polls.
Himachal Pradesh Congress president and former Union minister Virbhadra Singh will contest from Shimla (Rural).
A meeting of the party`s Central Election Committee headed by Sonia Gandhi had to decide on the nominations for the 68-member Assembly in the state.
While Congress has finalised candidates for 49 seats, the final list of all the candidates will be released by evening, as per reports.
A meeting of the State Election Committee headed by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was held here yesterday and a meeting of the Central Scrutiny Committee was held today, where prominent leaders from the state, including PCC president Virbhadra Singh, and the party`s incharge of Himachal Affairs Birender Singh were present.
Various leaders from the state have reportedly evolved a consensus on candidates for 45 Assembly seats, including 19 sitting MLAs, sources said. More names are likely to be cleared soon after discussions among state leaders.
Congress is seeking to oust the BJP government headed by Prem Kumar Dhumal.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested