Virbhadra Singh to contest Himachal Pradesh polls
New Delhi: Breaking its tradition of not allowing a sitting Member of Parliament (MP) to contest an Assembly Election, the Congress on Saturday gave green light to Virbhadra Singh for contesting the upcoming polls.
Himachal Pradesh Congress president and former Union minister Virbhadra Singh will contest from Shimla (Rural).
A meeting of the party`s Central Election Committee headed by Sonia Gandhi had to decide on the nominations for the 68-member Assembly in the state.
While Congress has finalised candidates for 49 seats, the final list of all the candidates will be released by evening, as per reports.
A meeting of the State Election Committee headed by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was held here yesterday and a meeting of the Central Scrutiny Committee was held today, where prominent leaders from the state, including PCC president Virbhadra Singh, and the party`s incharge of Himachal Affairs Birender Singh were present.
Various leaders from the state have reportedly evolved a consensus on candidates for 45 Assembly seats, including 19 sitting MLAs, sources said. More names are likely to be cleared soon after discussions among state leaders.
Congress is seeking to oust the BJP government headed by Prem Kumar Dhumal.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!