Virbhadra to contest HP assembly poll
New Delhi: Former Union Minister Virbhadra Singh, who has been made the Congress chief in Himachal Pradesh, on Tuesday said he would contest the upcoming Assembly elections and try to put up a united fight against BJP, notwithstanding the factionalism within.
He would contest the assembly elections to make his campaign sound serious and did not rule out his case for Chief Ministership.
"My priority is to fight the BJP and oust them from power as it has been the most corrupt government in North India...My first job would be to put an end to this entire factionalism and present the party as one and unitedly fight the BJP," the 78-year-old five-time former Chief minister, who has never lost an election, told PTI in an interview.
Admitting to factionalism in the party, Singh said it existed in every political party across the country and was not new to the state even though he admitted that it has never been so strong in the past.
"It is nothing new. In any party, there is some sort of factionalism that exists. Himachal Pradesh also has been plagued by it for many decades but it has never been so strong as to disrupt the functioning of the party or to sort of jeopardise the interests of the party," he said.
He expressed the hope that a majority of the party leaders will respond positively to his call for unity even though he did not rule out that some of them may still not toe the line.
"I am sure at least 99 per cent of the party will respond to my move and give a positive response. I can`t say about one per cent but that does not matter," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information