Virbhadra to head Cong campaign committee in HP polls
New Delhi: Former Union Minister Virbhadra Singh, who resigned from the Union Cabinet after charges were framed against him in a corruption case, was today made the Chairman of Congress` campaign committee for Himachal Pradesh ahead of the Assembly polls there.
Singh, a five-time Chief Minister, had earlier said his resignation should not be seen as an admission of guilt as he was going to fight the case to its logical conclusion and sought to turn it into a political battle against the state`s ruling BJP ahead of elections to the 68-member state Assembly later this year.
A statement from Congress said party chief Sonia Gandhi has approved the proposal to set up campaign committee for the HP polls due later this year as also appointing 16 secretaries for the state Congress Committee.
Besides Virbhadra, others in the campaign committee include senior leaders Anand Sharma, Vidya Strokes, Kaul Singh Thakur and Viplov Thakur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere