Virbhadra, wife appear before court in CD case
Shimla: Former Himachal Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and his wife Pratibha Singh, against whom charges have been framed by a special judge here in the CD case, appeared before the court and pleaded for a speedy trial.
While Singh and his wife, a former Lok Sabha member, pleaded for a "speedy trial", the public prosecutor made a strong plea for cancellation of their bail and alleged that the prosecution had "enough incriminating material" to seek cancellation of their bail.
Special judge BL Soni later fixed September 12 as the next date of hearing in the case.
The prosecution charges were read out as Singh and his wife were not present in the court on June 25 when charges were framed by the special judge.
They have pleaded not guilty and have said that they would face the trial
On August 31, Singh had withdrawn a case filed by him in the High Court, seeking quashing of FIR or CBI probe into CD case. A division bench of High Court consisting of Chief Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice D C Chaudhary accepted the plea of Singh and treated the petition as "dismissed as withdrawn".
The High Court had asked Singh and his wife to appear on September 7 in the court of special judge, which had framed the charges against the couple.
The case against Singh goes back to 1989 when he was Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. The charges are based on an audio CD that purportedly contains a conversation with IAS officer Mohinder Lal and some industrialists regarding monetary transactions for them to invest in the state.
They were booked in the case on August 3, 2009, on the basis of the CD released by his arch rival in the Congress and former minister Vijay Singh Mankotia in May 2007 and the prosecution filed the case in the court of special judge in October 2010.
Later chatting with media persons in the bar-room, Singh reiterated that charges against him were fabricated and he would emerge clean after the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...