Virbhadra`s apathy may prove costly for Congress at Rohroo
Rampur(HP): Absence of union Steel minister
Virbhadra Singh at filing of nomination by Congress candidate
for Rohroo assembly seat apparently to show ire over denial of
ticket to his wife on his home turf on Monday brought out
differences within the party.
Sans Singh popularly known as "Raja Sahib" here, state
Congress president Kaul Singh Thakur and others, filing of
nomination by Congress greenhorn Manjit Singh Thakur for
by-election to be held on November 7 was a lacklustre affair.
Singh, who had represented Rohroo for the last 19 years
before moving to Delhi as a union minister, is reportedly
keeping distance from the by-polls to express anger over
denial of ticket to his wife Pratibha Singh referred to as
The veteran Congress leader was in Shimla for Diwali, but
left for national capital yesterday on the pretext of some
"prior engagements there".
"I had met Singh to seek his blessing and requested his
presence during filing of nomination, but he said that he had
some prior engagement and hence cannot be present," Manjit
Singh Thakur said to a news agency.
Thakur, who applied for ticket at a later stage despite
Rohroo block Congress committee recommending sole name of
Pratibha Singh for the by-election, however, said, "He
promised me to devote considerable time for campaigning."
Not only Singh, but also his supporters in Rohroo also
kept distance from Thakur. Neither chief of Shimla rural
Congress Vidya Sagar nor Rohroo block Congress general
secretary Dinesh Chauhan joined the procession of party
candidate to file nomination on Monday.
Chauhan instead claimed he and over two dozen other
office bearers of the block Congress have tendered resignation
over denial of ticket to Pratibha Singh.
The poor show of the Congress candidate could be gauged
from the fact that while thousands used to accompany Singh
during his nomination filing, the strength today was not more
than 300, a Congress leader said.
Thakur was the first candidate to file nomination today
for Rohroo seat and submitted his papers before BR Kamal,
Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Rohroo.
Ruling BJP is fancying its chance to snatch the Rohroo
seat from Congress by cashing on the `disenchantment` of
The saffron party has fielded Khusi Ram Balnatah, who had
been loosing to Singh in the assembly polls since 1993.
This is the last chance for Balnatah to register a
victory from Rohroo, as the seat will become a reserved one
from next election due to delimitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org