Water conservation issue of concern: HP Irrigation Min
Shimla: Expressing concern over emerging challenges due to climate change and increasing population, Himachal Pradesh Irrigation minister Vidya Stokes today said comprehensive planning was needed to ensure conservation of ground water and increase in food production.
Stokes was inaugurating a four-day Biennial conference of chief scientists of All India Coordinated Research Project on Water Management organised by CSK Himachal Pradesh Agriculture University Palampur in collaboration with the Directorate of Water management (ICAR ), Bhubaneswar.
She said water utilisation and its conservation and management was of paramount importance in the changing environmental scenario.
"The wastage of available water and depleting ground water level were issues of concern and there was need for a comprehensive planning to ensure that water needs for agriculture are met and people are provided with clean and plentiful drinking water is available to them," she said.
Stressing the need for innovative and implementable technologies so that irrigation needs are fully met, she said that sustained food sufficiency was crucial for the country.
Stokes cautioned that if timely action was not taken the situation may become unmanageable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why