Water conservation issue of concern: HP Irrigation Min
Shimla: Expressing concern over emerging challenges due to climate change and increasing population, Himachal Pradesh Irrigation minister Vidya Stokes today said comprehensive planning was needed to ensure conservation of ground water and increase in food production.
Stokes was inaugurating a four-day Biennial conference of chief scientists of All India Coordinated Research Project on Water Management organised by CSK Himachal Pradesh Agriculture University Palampur in collaboration with the Directorate of Water management (ICAR ), Bhubaneswar.
She said water utilisation and its conservation and management was of paramount importance in the changing environmental scenario.
"The wastage of available water and depleting ground water level were issues of concern and there was need for a comprehensive planning to ensure that water needs for agriculture are met and people are provided with clean and plentiful drinking water is available to them," she said.
Stressing the need for innovative and implementable technologies so that irrigation needs are fully met, she said that sustained food sufficiency was crucial for the country.
Stokes cautioned that if timely action was not taken the situation may become unmanageable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state