Water level falls in Sutlej; power generation dips
Rampur: Dipping water level in the river Sutlej has resulted in the reduction of power generation at the hydro power project of Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) in Himachal Pradesh.
According to reports, the discharge in the Sutlej plunged from 1,400 cumecs during the peak monsoon season to 205 cumecs. The Director (Electrical) of SJVN, RK Bansal said: "Water level has decreased from about 17-25 percent, which has decreased the total energy generation."
"We are increasing the efficiency of our plant, so that our units are available round the clock and if units decrease during the downtime then this is also in the benefit of the country," said Bansal.
Locals are facing water shortage due to depletion of natural water resources caused by enormous construction in the region. Locals alleged that the water channels are shrinking as various companies are using the waters of Satluj`s tributaries for the generation of power.
Decline in power generation is a normal phenomenon during winters as the discharge comes down rather quickly due to low temperature in the higher reaches, which affects the melting of snow. However, environmentalists believe that such projects pose a serious threat to the surroundings as it is polluting the water sources and no pure water is left for the cattle on the rivulets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli