With ‘Navratras` onset, devotees throng Himachal temples
Shimla:Tens of thousands of devotees assembled in different parts of Himachal Pradesh Tuesday and offered prayers on the onset of the nine-day Navratra, considered by Hindus to be an auspicious period.
"We are expecting the arrival of 50,000 people daily at the Naina Devi temple during the festival," temple office Sukhdev Thakur told IANS.
He said security has been beefed up and closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras have been installed to manage the crowd.
One of the busiest shrines in north India, the hilltop Naina Devi temple in Bilaspur district sees a majority of pilgrims from Punjab and Haryana.
Likewise, the popular shrines of Chintpurni in Una district and Jwalaji and Brajeshwari Devi temples in Kangra district witnessed a huge rush.
The temple websites have a collection of photographs and history of the temple. It also includes information on forthcoming religious events and festivals. "One can literally have a `parikrama` (circumambulation) of the temple," a temple official said.
The ban on offering coconuts would continue in all the prominent temples in the state as a precaution against a terrorist attack.
Meanwhile, during the Navratra festivities, the Election Commission (EC) has barred all kinds of political activities in the poll-bound state.
An election official said that during the festival, political leaders cannot be invited as chief guests and they cannot use it (the festival) as a platform for campaigning.
The polling in the hill state for the 68-member assembly will be held Nov 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda