Event on Afzal Guru planned for months by Umar Khalid; 10 Kashmiris visited JNU on Feb 07
New Delhi: Amid the furore over an event at the campus of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, a startling revelation regarding Umar Khalid, a JNU student wanted by the Delhi Police, came to the fore on Tuesday.
According to a report, 10 people from Kashmir had entered into the JNU campus on February 07, two days ahead of the planned event on the death anniversaries of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front co-founder Maqbool Bhat.
Khalid is one of the organisers of the Afzal Guru event in the campus.
The report further stated that Khalid was planning to organise such a program for months.
Notably, just two days after the 10 Kashmiri youths entered into the JNU, the prestigious educational institute witnessed clashes between two student groups over Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged on February 09, 2013 in Tihar Jail.
The incident happened after a group of students organised a programme and termed the hanging of Afzal Guru and Maqbool Bhatt as "judicial killing”.
The students allegedly shouted slogans hailing 'Shaeed Afzal Guru' and also chanted anti-India slogans. They also expressed solidarity with "struggle" of Kashmiri migrants and advocated for 'Azad Kashmir'.
Jawaharlal University Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar has been arrested and has been placed under police custody.
Kanhiaya Kumar belongs to the CPI-affiliated All India Students Federation (AISF).
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday claimed that the event organised inside JNU campus against the hanging of Afzal Guru had received "support" from Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) founder Hafiz Saeed.
The raging JNU row has turned into an ideological battle between the BJP and many opposition parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies