22 personnel killed in 24 Naval mishaps in four years: Govt
There have been a staggering 24 mishaps involving the Indian Navy vessels in the last four years and the majority of them have taken place since 2013.
New Delhi: There have been a staggering 24 mishaps involving the Indian Navy vessels in the last four years and the majority of them have taken place since 2013.
Not only that, 22 personnel have been killed in these mishaps besides four personnel who continue to remain missing after a Torpedo Recovery Vessel sunk on November 6 this year.
According to the data given by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Lok Sabha today, six mishaps took place between January 20, 2011 to December 19, 2012.
Beginning July 14, 2013 till now, 18 more mishaps have taken place in which 22 personnel were killed.
Incidentally, the report of the Board of Inquiry into the explosion in INS Sidhurakshak on August 14 last year is still under examination at the Naval headquarters.
Eighteen Navy personnel had lost their lives in this mishap.
"Lessons learnt from the BoI are implemented appropriately. Corrective steps have been taken by the Naval headquarters with extensive checks on weapon related safety systems and audit of Standard Operating Procedures on all operational naval units," Parrikar said.
He said Incidents Study and Analysis Cells are incorporated into professional training and that safety audits of various units have been constituted.
A series of mishaps had rocked the Navy and its former chief DK Joshi had resigned taking "moral responsibility" for them.