Met Hafiz Saeed in Pakistan in 2002, he inspired me to join Lashkar: David Headley tells Mumbai court
During his deposition in Mumbai court on Monday, David Headley told that his LeT handler Sajid Mir wanted him to set up some business or office in India as cover.
New Delhi: Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist David Headley , currently imprisoned in the US, deposed before a Mumbai court on Monday in connection with 26/11 Mumbai attacks .
Headley's testified before court through video conferencing. The prosecution team was headed Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and well known criminal lawyer Mahesh Jethmalani represented Headley before the special TADA court. The prosecution team put up about 40 questions before Headley during the course of deposition.
Revelations by terrorist David Headley:
1. Headley identified Hafiz Saeed, when shown his photo in the court. Headley met Hafiz Saeed during a training camp in Pakistan's Muzaffarabad in 2002. He said Hafiz Saeed inspired me to join LeT and I did Lashkar's work on his directions. I learnt AK-47 firing training, bomb explosion and other arms trainings in the camp. Wanted to fight Indian forces in Kashmir but was denied Kashmir assignment due to my age.
2. Dr Tahawwur Hussain Rana helped me to get Indian visa. I met him in a military school in Punjab province. Dr Tahawwur Hussain Rana was my schoolmate for 5 years. After school, Rana became a doctor in Pakistan Army in Rawalpindi.
3. Sajid Mir and Major Iqbal were happy to see my Indian visa. Sajid Mir was guiding me on getting visas
4. Sajid Mir (LeT Operative) was using the email ID firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate
5. During interrogation I gave information to Major Ali that I’m holding a business office in India. Major Ali thought that I will be beneficial for gathering intelligence from India. He later introduced me to Major Iqbal of Pakistan ISI.
6. Two attempts were made to attack Mumbai prior to 26/11. First attempt was made in Sept 2008 but boat hit rocks in the ocean, weapons and explosives were lost but those on board survived. Second attempt to attack Mumbai made in October 2008, those involved in first attempt were involved in this as well, but attack failed. Third and final attack on Mumbai was successful (26/11).
7. I and retired major Abdur Rehman Pasha were arrested in Landi Kotal near Pak-Afghan border because I looked like a foreigner. During my arrest, Major Ali came to interrogate me and I was having some Indian literature in my possession.
8. All details except place of birth, date of birth, mother's nationality & passport number, were incorrect in my visa application
9. After 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks I visited India on 7th March 2009 from Lahore to Delhi
10. My 7 visits to India were directly from Pakistan and 1 from UAE
11. After 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks I visited India on 7th March 2009 from Lahore to Delhi
12. After receiving new passport I visited India 8 times, out of 8 times I visited Mumbai 7 times
13. Sajid Mir (LeT) specified object of his intention before my first visit to India
14. Sajid Mir (LeT) wanted me to set up some business or office in India
15. I changed my name so that I could enter India. I wanted to enter India with an American name
16. Became David Coleman Headley from Daood Saeed to enter India on Sajid Mir's suggestion.
17. I was a true follower of LeT
In December last year, Headley was pardoned by the court after her agreed to turn approver and appear before it connection with the 26/11 trials. His deposition is likely to unravel the conspiracy and nail Pakistan's lies in connection with the attacks.
David Coleman Headley was originally charged under 11 counts, relating to planning and executing terror-related activities against India.
Headley, who is currently serving a 35-year prison sentence in the US for his role in the 2008 attacks case, had initially refused to depose before the court.