Beijing: China on Thursday vindicated its stand over a documentary based on the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, alleging Pakistan's involvement in the horrific attack.
The documentary, shown by the state-run channels, talked about the involvement of Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba in the Mumbai attacks.
A brief statement published by the Chinese Foreign Ministry on its website said the documentary was a dubbed version of an American TV programme and no way represented the government's position.
"We have contacted the Chinese media and learnt that the relevant program is a Chinese-dubbed American documentary."
"What it (documentary) said does not represent the position of the Chinese government. China's position on the issue of counter-terrorism remains unchanged," it said.
The ministry's reaction was in response to a question on the China Central Television (CCTV) documentary on the Mumbai terror attacks, linking Pakistan to the assault.
While it was unprecedented for CCTV to carry a documentary in which confessions of Ajmal Kasab, the lone survivor of the Mumbai attacks, was also shown, officials say it was equally rare for the Chinese Foreign Ministry to refute the report which went against China's all weather ally Pakistan.
The documentary coinciding with India-China spat over Beijing putting technical holds in UN on India's attempts to bring about a UN ban on some of the leaders of LeT and Jaish-e-Muhammad sparked off speculation that China may be reviewing its stand.
The footage was first aired by the state-run Shanghai television weeks ahead of President Pranab Mukherjee's visit last month and subsequently shown by CCTV documentary channel.
The documentary containing details of planning and execution of the Mumbai attacks by LeT militants caught Indian officials here by surprise as Chinese state media shows extreme care and caution in airing negative news about Pakistan.
(With PTI inputs)