Antalya: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday attended a meeting of the BRICS leaders on the sidelines of the G-20 Summit at Antalya in Turkey. The topic of terrorism dominated the meeting in the wake of the Paris attack.
PM Modi arrived here on Saturday following his successful three-day UK visit, where both sides have pledged to build close economic ties.
BRICS comprises Brazil, Russia, India China and South Africa. Besides Modi, the meeting was attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping, South African President Jacob Zuma and Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff.
Here are the 5 things that PM Modi said at the meeting of the BICS leaders.
1) Building responsive, inclusive and collective solutions will be the theme when India assumes chairmanship of BRICS.
2) The need for a united global effort to fight terrorism had never been more urgent. This must also be a priority for BRICS.
3) Entire humanity must stand together and be one against terrorism. We stand united in strongly condemning the dreadful attacks in Paris.
4) India, which takes over the Chairmanship of BRICS from February 1, 2016, will accord priority to combating terrorism. India expresses deepest sympathy and support to Russia for the loss of life in Sinai. Ankara and Beirut are also reminders of terrorism's bloody impact.
5) There was a time when the logic of BRICS and its lasting capacity were being questioned. India attached highest importance to BRICS. We want to build on the great work done by other members.