New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is on a three-day visit to Japan, addressed the Indian diaspora in Kobe on Saturday.
During his address, he spoke on number of issues including central government's recent demonetisation move.
Highlight of PM Modi's speech:
- I have had the good fortune of visiting you all even before I became the PM.
- In 2001, when Gujarat was hit by a strong earthquake, Kobe was the first to reach out to help. Thank you for the love i got.
- I am sure whatever happens in India makes you very proud. The good in India is happening due to 125 crore Indians
- I am committed to make India poverty-free.
- Despite two years of serious drought, the entire world has acknowledged that India is the fastest growing large economy globally.
- 'First develop India', is my definition of FDI. however the other one is Foreign Direct Investment. India is getting historically high FDI and is moving quickly on the path of economic progress
- We have asked poor people that even if they do not have a penny, we will open their bank account. When we assumed office what did we do first- we opened bank accounts for the poor.
- A large section of population did not have bank account when BJP came to power, but we launched a massive drive to open new accounts. Now almost all people have bank accounts in the country.
- On the night of 8th November, government demonetised Rs 500 and 1000. Despite all inconveniences, they have accepted the decision.
- I was pondering over the difficulties, our team was thinking of ways. But obviously I couldn't share it with anyone. It is a massive cleaning campaign.
- This is not an overnight decision, first we had brought in a scheme. Its not that no opportunity was given, it was given.
- I salute the people of India for hailing this initiative, despite all difficulties they have supported us.
- Earlier no one used to put a single rupee in river Ganga, now you can see notes flowing in it. Government will do everything to protect the honest whereas dishonest will have to pay.
- People of India want to fight against corruption and black money. I have recently experienced Indians don't back down when they have to serve their country.
- Till 30 December, there will be no trouble caused to anyone. Everything that is yours, you will get it.
- Will check records since Independence. If I come across unaccounted cash, no body will be spared.
A warm welcome given to PM Modi by Indian community in Kobe. Watch video:
— Vikas Swarup (@MEAIndia) November 12, 2016