Srinagar: Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag on Saturday met the brave soldiers who carried out a decisive cross-border operation in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK) that killed scores of terrorists as part of a broader Indian policy shift.
General Singh complimented the officers who destroyed seven terror launchpads located in the PoK's Leepa, Tattapani, Kel and Bhimbar areas.
Earlier in the day, Singh also visited the Northern Command headquarters, where the surgical strikes were planned, to take stock of operational preparedness along the border.
"Gen Singh arrived at Northern Command headquarters this morning and chaired a high-level meeting to review the situation and operational preparedness in Jammu and Kashmir," a Defence official said.
He is also scheduled to visit the Army's Western Command to review its operational preparedness, he added.
Sources had said the decision on the surgical strike was taken soon after the attack on the Uri Army base on September 18.
They said India was ready with contingency plans considering the possibilities that Pakistan may retaliate in the wake of the surgical strike.
It has been estimated that the number of casualties was at least 40 on Pakistani side but there was no official confirmation.
The Army has also trashed reports in Pakistan about Indian casualties during the operation, saying one member of the special forces received minor injury while returning but it was not due to any enemy or terrorist action.