Bangkok blast: Two Indians taken into custody for questioning by Thai police

Two Indians have been taken into custody in regard with the bombings in Bangkok at a Brahma temple.

Bangkok blast: Two Indians taken into custody for questioning by Thai police

Bangkok: Two Indians have been taken into custody in regard with the bombings in Bangkok at a Brahma temple.

The Indians have reportedly been held for questioning by the Thai Police.

As per reports, the Indians were seen on CCTVs talking to a foreign suspect.

The suspect is wanted in one of the deadliest bombings in Thailand.

The two Indians, who were not identified, have been taken to a military camp for questioning, The Nation quoted police as saying, PTI reported.

"Nothing is really known so far about the Indians and it is not clear what the questioning is about," sources told PTI.

However, as per the report, it was not clear what the questioning was about.

The Indians were held after General Prawut Thawornsiri and his teams searched the Maimuna Garden Home apartment in Minburi at on Sunday night.

Thawornsiri is Assistant Police Commissioner.

The Indians were reportedly staying in the room next to the one where police found bomb making materials.

The names of the two Indians is not known as of now.

A foreigner who lived in the room next to the Indians is wanted in the bombing case at the popular Erawan Brahma Shrine.

Also wanted is a Thai woman who rented the room for the suspect.

Coloner Wattana Yichin, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police overseeing Minburi police station, said the raid was part of crime suppression measures as many foreigners rent apartments and houses in the area.

The bomb blast took place on August 17 killing 20 people and injuring more than 100 others.

As of now arrest warrants have been issued for ten suspects, whereas two foreign suspects have been arrested.

Meanwhile, a suspect who was arrested near the Cambodia border identified as Yusufu Meralli, told military interrogators he assembled the bomb for the actual bomber, who is yet to be nabbed.

The first man arrested, Adem Karadak, also known as Bilal Mohammed, has been shifted from military custody to prison.

Meralli admitted he assembled the bomb before handing it to a yellow-shirted suspect who was seen on CCTV at the shrine leaving behind a backpack which would have had the explosive device.

Mieraili had told the military that he was asked to assemble the bomb, Bangkok Post quoted police sources as saying.

Mieraili identified the mastermind of the attack only as Izaan.

He said Izaan commanded the operation by using WhatsApp chatting application.

According to a source, Mierali testified that Izaan left Thailand via Suvarnabhumi International Airport on August 16, a day before the bombing, to China and then headed to Bangladesh.

Mieraili claimed he had never met the yellow-shirted suspect before.

He said Izaan told him to buy bomb-making chemicals via Internet to make bombs. He reported to Izaan after the bombs were made, the paper said.

He was then ordered to carry a backpack with a bomb to leave it under a bench on a bank of Phadung Krungkasem Canal near Hua Lampong Railway station.

Mieraili said the man in yellow shirt came to switch his backpack with the one with the bomb. He said he did not meet the man in yellow in person.

He said the mastermind also instructed him to take a video clip of the bomb attack but he dared not do it for fear of being arrested.

Mieraili was carrying a Chinese passport which mentioned his place of birth as China's western region of Xinjiang, but it is not known if it was forged.

(With PTI inputs)

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link