BSP workers protest against Dayashankar Singh: As it happened
Enraged with Dayashankar Singh's derogatory remark against Mayawati, BSP workers staged a protest on Thursday.
Lucknow: A huge number of BSP workers on Thursday took to streets to protest and demand arrest of Dayashankar Singh.
Here are all the updates:-
- Reacting to agitation by BSP workers, Mayawati said dalits across nation see her as 'devi'
- BSP workers on Thursday afternoon called off their agitation here against former Uttar Pradesh BJP Vice-President Daya Shankar Singh for his abusive remarks against BSP chief Mayawati after police assured Singh's arrest within the next 36 hours.
- If BJP leaders themselves filed an FIR against Dayashankar Singh, then they would have won my heart: Mayawati
- Removing from party is a normal process. It would have been better if they (BJP) had registered FIR against him: Mayawati
- BSP workers protest at Jantar Mantar against Dayashankar Singh for derogatory slur against Mayawati
- DM has given assurance to BSP workers about Dayashankar Singh's arrest
- Zee sources say Dayashankar Singh may surrender soon
- Dayashankar Singh's brother Dharmendra Singh arrested by police
- According to Zee sources, Dayashankar Singh is meeting with lawyers in connection with FIR lodged against him over abusive remarks against Mayawati.
- BSP supporters burn Dayashankar Singh's effigy, break barricades installed by police in Lucknow's Hazratganj
- BSP workers protest at Delhi's Jantar Mantar against Dayashankar Singh's derogatory remarks against the party supremo Mayawati
- Police team arrived at the residence of Dayashankar Singh in Ballia district (UP) to arrest him, Dayashankar Singh wasn't there.
- Gorakhpur police may arrest Dayashankar Singh anytime now
- Dayashankar must be put behind bars for such a mentality. Matter does not end by just apologising: Satish Mishra, BSP MP
- Dayashankar was not present at his Lucknow residence, according to local police
- Police conduct raids at the Ballia and Lucknow residence of Dayashankar Singh
- Police conduct raids to arrest Dayashankar Singh
- VIDEO of the massive protest
WATCH: Mayawati slur: Massive protest by BSP in Lucknow's Hazratganj against Dayashankar Singh.https://t.co/42HZ0CWzds
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) July 21, 2016
- Mayawati warns of nationwide agitation by BSP workers, seeks Dayashankar Singh's arrest
- Police team arrives at the residence of Dayashankar Singh in Kesar Bagh Officers Colony of Lucknow
- BSP supporters broke barricades installed in Lucknow's Hazratganj area
- Protest by BSP workers disrupt traffic in Lucknow's Hazratganj area
- BSP workers burn effigy of Dayashankar Singh
- The workers are Enraged with Dayashankar Singh's derogatory remark against Mayawati.
- The protest is being held at the main Hazratganj crossing.
- BSP state president Ram Achal Rajbhar said that the party supporters have been asked to gather in the state capital in larger numbers.
- Meanwhile, the BJP has expelled Dayashankar Singh from the party for six years.The Lucknow District Magistrate has said that permission to protest at Hazratganj area is usually not given by them due to traffic issues, public inconvenience and security concerns.
"If anyone gathers and tries to organise any protest at Hazratganj, we take action accordingly," he said.
- BJP state president Keshav Prasad Maurya yesterday sacked him from the party, hours after he announced that Singh had been relieved from all organisational responsibilities.
- Dayashankar Singh`s remarks drew severe criticism from members in the Rajya Sabha, including women MPs, with Deputy Chairperson P.J Kurien, saying that the House wants the government to ensure that stringent action is taken against the BJP leader, as per law, for his unforgivable comments.There was uproar in the Upper House earlier as the BSP leaders demanded Dayashankar Singh`s arrest for his unwarranted remark against the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley earlier expressed `personal regret` in Parliament over Singh`s remark."It is not right and I condemn the use of this word. And if a person has said this, we will investigate. I express personal regret. I associate with your dignity and stand with you," Jaitley told Mayawati in the Rajya Sabha.
The BSP chief on her part thanked Jaitley and other leaders in the Rajya Sabha for supporting her on this matter."There are war of thoughts and ideas in the House, but never have I used derogatory words against anyone ever," Mayawati said.
"Dayashankar Singh should be arrested otherwise if in response to this the people get violent, it will not be on my conscience," she added.
Singh, however, later tendered an apology for his remark.